I’m going to be brutally honest. There are way too many people in internet marketing today that think “great content” is enough to build a high performing online business. These “gurus” will tell you that content builds links and that’s all you need to achieve #1 rankings. It’s complete garbage.
It typically goes like this – you invest your money to one of these “gurus”, get promised the world and then you’re left with nothing in return apart from some badly written articles or some shitty backlinks in the background, sounds familiar right?
If you’re serious about building a high performing online income it’s going to need a little bit more thought and structure. Too often we find ourself in a state of “shotgun marketing” where it’s literally like throwing cooked spaghetti against a wall and hoping something sticks.
Today we’re going to show you our proven results and exactly how we increased conversions for a single client by 292% in just 6 months. For this particular client it meant a difference of 75 enquiries / leads in the month of December (111 in total for the month) when compared to July (36 for the month).
Configure Conversion Tracking
Before we get started with any campaign we make sure we were tracking the metrics that matter.
Tracking metrics that relate to business goals, i.e. sales and enquiries, means that we make changes based on what we know is working. We’re essentially removing the guess-work which allows us to make educated improvements.
We also gather a baseline of current rankings and use this as another performance indicator for the campaign. I’m completely honest when I tell you that rankings are simply vanity metrics you can use to boost your ego. If you’re building a high performing online business then you want to be everywhere and at the core of that providing knockout value to your customers.
Watching your ranking reports can be as disheartening as watching grass grow. Stop wasting your time if you’re doing that.
Unless you’re in the industry of knitting cat mittens, i.e. you have no competition, search rankings will likely take some time before you see results.
Build a Solid Foundation – 130% increase in organic conversions in a single month
When it comes to SEO the first thing any “guru” should do is check that your website is built on solid foundations. This is especially apparent when talking about local businesses because just a few tweaks to your site can skyrocket your website up local search terms.
Unfortunately, there’s often nothing sexy about it.
- Improved content relevance using the “keyword mashing” technique.
- Modifying a single page to be relevant to a group of similar search terms – See more on keyword mashing
- Improved URL and website structure and visitor useability with internal linking.
- Improved site speed and performance reducing the load time from 4.7s to 2.7s and halved the total page size.
- Ideally we’d like this to be even lower however the site uses a plugin for mobile responsiveness which we can’t avoid at this point.
- Reverse engineered competitors to understand where improvements could be made.
Todays SEO is as much about relevance as it is about rankings. A single page with relevant on site content such as written copy, meta tags and URL structure can ensure that your website is relevant for a group of search terms rather than just one. This technique is called keyword mashing where in its simplest form you simply research and find a group of similar keywords and ensure that a page on your site is relevant for each of them.
For example debt collectors, debt collection, debt collection agency and many others are all highly relevant terms. Although they keywords are different it’s quite possible that the intent may be the same.
Minimising Wasted AdWords Spend – %87 Increase in AdWords conversions in a single month.
It’s often the case that a business will be running Google AdWords but then completely ignores it post launch. Even worse is when a business isn’t tracking conversions so they have no idea which keywords result in dollars to their business.
- Not knowing your data = wasted spend.
- Not reviewing your AdWords continuously = wasted spend.
- We removed any keywords that hadn’t converted since the start of the year.
- We removed any keywords where the cost per conversion was significantly higher than the average.
- We segmented search terms into relevant groups to improve the Google AdWords Quality Score.
- We readjusted the conversion tracking to track Google Analytic conversions as well as AdWords conversions.